Welcome to ‘Stories In Your Pocket’
My name is Mike Jackson and I enjoy writing short stories and some of them are very short! Stories can, of course, be any length. Ernest Hemingway made famous the idea of telling a story in six words with – ‘For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn’.
The writing of very short stories comes under many different headings today. You will hear such stories described as – Flash Fiction; Micro Stories; Sudden Fiction; Hint Fiction; Twitter Fiction; Smoke Long and much more.
I do my best to experiment with them all.
Where to go next?
- Discover more about me.
- Read some of my published stories.
- Read some of my latest stories and thoughts on my blog.
- Read some ‘Drabbles‘ – 100-word stories.
- Read slightly longer pieces in the flash fiction section.
- Explore the poetry section. You will see I especially like writing Haiku.
- Find out more about ‘Goodeyedeers’. This is an adventure I’m presently undertaking with a fellow retiree David Horner – a children’s poet. Between us, we are creating some tremendous teaching resources which we sell through TES Resources. The money we make from this venture goes to a local charity called MedEquip4Kids.
I enjoy getting inspiration from various writing prompts available through different blogs and I know other writers do as well. With this in mind, I decided to start my own – it is called Tuesday Scribes.
Every Tuesday I put up a black and white photo as the writing prompt and set a writing challenge to go with it. I’m aiming to make the challenge different each week. Why not give it a go?
Let me know what you think and ‘Happy Browsing’.