I’m presently re-reading a great book called ‘Re-Think – How To Think Differently’ by Nigel May Barlow. One of many quotes from the book is this –
“The creative mind is so often trapped by dull routine and the sheer exhaustion of the workaday week that we need to stage a revolt against the unholy trinity of doing, hurrying and achieving.”
The author also talks about ‘Wonder Fatigue’ – ie. we are so busy that we do not see the wonder around us or take time to consider, discuss or just contemplate some of the amazing things that make up our lives.
Have a look at this list below – allow yourself some time and space to reflect on any of the items that stretch your mind.
Go for a walk & just let each idea play on your mind or discuss what they might mean with a friend:
- There are 100 billion stars in our galaxy. Is there life out there?
- There are over 200 billion galaxies (in the observable universe). Can you even begin to imagine what that might mean?
- The solid matter we see is completely insubstantial; we are 99.5% space. Now there’s a thought!
- You now have in your body more than a million of the atoms that were once in the body of Jesus Christ, Gandhi or Mother Teresa. How great does that make you?
- Of all the atoms in your body, 98% are replaced within a year = new body!
- We share 96% of our DNA with a chimpanzee and half the banana genome is also found in the human genome. Now that’s a scary thought.
Next time you find yourself trapped in that dull, daily routine just remember, life is amazing – if only we give it some thought.
So allow yourself thinking time each and every day.
Find the time to talk to people, go for walks, look at the stars, daydream.
Let us know how you get on.
Mike & David – Goodeyedeers